Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Well it has happened. I have become one of those old people who says, "they grow up so fast."

It happened recently when I noticed that the bath toys were beginning to overflow from their cute little basket on the toilet, to the floor and also in the tub. I thought, 'I should go through those and get rid of a bunch because Riley and George don't even take baths anymore.' It hit me like a bolt of lightning. Riley and George are so big that they take their own showers now. No more shampoo mohawks, no more "count while I hold my breath underwater" (I guess I won't miss that one, it kind of scared me.) No more Santa beards of bubbles for them.

I still have my sweet Sammy Rose to console me. But when exactly did all this happen? Although she is still taking baths, she is already out of her crib and pooping on the potty!

I also recently volunteered at Georgie's school. I was blown away by the changes he has made since last year. Not only was he the leader of the boys pack, but he was embarrassed when I gave him a hug and a kiss when I left school. Just one year before he was clinging to my leg when I would go to his class. Now, it was as if he didn't even know I was there.

STOP! I wish I could grab the planet and dig in my heals and keep it from turning for just a little while.

It is ironic that all this time I have been wishing and hoping for their independence (and I'm not gonna lie, I know how many years it is going to be before they all move out.) and now that they are getting a taste of that independence that I longed for I miss the way it was.

Well, Riley and Sammy have just come barreling down the stairs demanding breakfast and that I get off the computer. Nostalgia over.

No comments:

Post a Comment