Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Enforcer


This is the rule enforcer. Her name is Gabrielle and she is a Cane Corso. Gabrielle is my parent's dog and when we visit her house she makes sure that everyone is following the rules. We first discovered this when George and Sammy were having an argument about a toy. George was waving the toy wildly above his head and out of reach of his sister when Gabe walked up and calmly grabbed his elbow in her mouth. Instantly he released his grip and the toy fell to the floor. "Fine she can have it!"

This was the most quickly and quietly a dispute between my children had ever been resolved. This is when I decided that not only did I need an enforcer at my house but that every home with small children should have one. She is much like Nana from Peter Pan or Carl the Rottweiler from the Carl books.

These are the rules that Gabe enforces:

1. No running (she will come after you and knock you down.)
2. No yelling (you really don't want to get her upset)
3. No fighting (this will get her upset)
4. No individual singing (this is one my son insists she enforces but it may just be his singing. Just to be safe we are sure to always sing in a group. You do not want to be on Gabes bad side.)

I find Gabes method of discipline far more effective than any yelling or time outs I may distribute. As a result my children are sure to watch their behavior while they are visiting at my parents house. She is a great dog, thank you for your parenting help Gabrielle.

No comments:

Post a Comment