Monday, March 1, 2010

The difference between boys and girls






Recently, on a trip to Walmart, Riley came running up with a bag of Popsicle sticks. "Mom, can we get these pleaseeee?" I thought the $2.50 for these Popsicle sticks will probably buy me 10-15 minutes of blissful alone time. I begin to imagine being curled up on the couch, fire blazing and a cup of steaming hot cocoa warming my hand as I get lost in my latest book.

"Yes! Get the Popsicle sticks!" I reply enthusiastically. We change course and head to the arts and crafts section to get the glue. $.39! When was the last time you were able to buy anything for $.39? "Kids! What else can we make with glue?" I ask with new found excitment. All I get are blank stares.

When we get home I proceed to dump the Popsicle sticks on the table and run for my book. Miraculously, it works! I am given 15 minutes alone (have any of you read Edgar Sawtell? One of the best books ever!) "Mom! Come see what we have done!" I walk in refreshed from my 15 minutes to find Riley has made a wonderful jewelery box. The memories from summer camps long ago come flooding back to me.

"Mom look at mine." I am snapped back from my trip down memory lane.

"Those are really nice George, what are they?"

"They are weapons." He goes on to explain the use of each of them. I can not hear what he is saying and can only imagine children getting their eyes poked out.

As I pay the price of turning three kids loose with colored Popsicle sticks and glue,(it took me three days to get the glue completely off the table.) I am reminded of the undeniable difference between boys and girls. Left to their own imaginations, the girl creates a jewelery box, and the boy weapons.

*notice in the second picture how George had to take his sweater off. He was really getting into it.

Sammy didn't want to be left out, so she insisted I take her picture as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment