Wednesday, April 7, 2010

An Easter mass I will never forget....and it wasn't because of the homily

Riley is in the children's choir at our church. Consequently, we had to arrive at church an hour before Easter mass so they could get a quick rehearsal in before show time. Anyone who knows Riley knows that this was her time to shine and she did not mind in the slightest getting to church early to fine tune her solo. The other two little ones, however, not so siked about the extra hour. By the time church finally began George starting whining, "is church ever going to be over!?"

To which I reply,"No son, church is never going to be over and we are going to sit here forever." Mature, I know. Sammy on the other hand did not know what to do with the explosion of energy that had built up in her tiny body. She wanted me to hold her, but she did not want to be still. It took all my energy to keep her in my arms. I put her down every chance I got. So I was relieved when she was content playing in the aisle next to me. The priest began to go nuts with the incense. I mean there was so much of that stuff in the air that everything was hazy and I began to wonder if he was trying to hot box the church. Which may be what triggered what happened next.

There was kind of a fuss in the pew across from us as a mom and her son (who looked to be about four) were leaving the pew. I glanced down at Sam to find her still content playing in the aisle then back up at the kid. Suddenly, without warning, vomit spilled from his mouth. Horrified, I'm sure, the Mom knelt down in front of him and began to wipe it up. Then, this image is one I'll never forget. It turns out the first vomit was just a warm up for the mother load. He puked again. Something about children that never ceases to amaze me is the way they never seem to know when they are about to throw up. I thought, really? You didn't feel that coming at ALL? You couldn't give your Mom a little warning as she was bent down in front of you? I mean was it too much work to tilt your little head to the side. I did not see the rest of the scene as I turned away in horror, grabbing Sammy Rose from the aisle. There is no doubt in my mind that that mother got some puke on her.

Then I did feel kind of bad because for some reason I could not stop laughing. There is something about being in church, when you try to stop laughing and it just gets worse. Like your laugh explodes out of your nose when you are trying to keep it in. I don't remember what Ben did, but his witty comment did not make it easier to stifle the laugh. I thought that in retaliation I should say, "step aside, this man is a paramedic!"

To which Ben replied, "yes, a paramedic can keep people from throwing up." to shae. I consoled myself by thinking, if I were in that situation despite the vomit on my Easter outfit I would have been laughing.

That is how I deal with situations like that. When I am thinking in my head, this can't possibly be actually happening, I laugh. So if you ever meet me and some sort of kid crisis is insuing and I am sitting there laughing, don't worry, I haven't lost my marbles that is just how I deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment