Monday, October 12, 2009

A camping we will go

So this weekend we did it, the ultimate in family time... we went camping. We went all out to the woods. We slept in tents, cooked all our meals over an open flame, went on nature hikes, peed in the woods. We did it all.

My husband and I were a little reluctant to go since the temp would go down into the 30's that night and morning. We were also a concerned because camping doesn't always agree with one-year-olds. It was also not ideal because Ben had to work the next day and would have to wake up and leave at 5 a.m.. This would leave him to have to wake up so early, and me to breakdown camp all by my lonesome. But we were going with friends and we knew they would be there for us.

Despite it all we were bound and determined to give our children the experience. I mean they would always remember the camping trip they got to go on with their friends, right?

It turns out we were right, the camping or the cold or the combination of both did not agree with the one year old. She woke up in the night screaming, "STOP, MOM, STOP!" I was looking around like are you serious? Was she upset that I was actually sleeping and she wanted me to stop, what was I doing that I needed to stop? But she continued to scream for me to stop so I had to take her into the car for the sake of the others and spend the remainder of the night there.

Anywho, I was able to break down camp without Ben (although I did have plenty of help from our friends) and make it home.

As we were eating lunch we were all too exhausted to talk. We all smelled like "vagabons" according to Riley and when I looked in the mirror I noticed that I actually had a smear of soot on my cheek.

All of the sudden George pipped up, "Can you even believe we got hot chocolate?"

Are you serious?! That entire camping extravaganza and that is what he took away from it?! Next time we may stick to the backyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment