Thursday, October 22, 2009

An oldie but a goodie

This story actually happened this summer, but it is burned into my memory and I think you will enjoy it.

We had decided one summer evening to go have dinner at the Cheesecake Factory and then afterwards we went to the bookstore. I LOVE bookstores. I could spend hours there.

So there we were, the scene was idyllic. I was sitting in a chair reading to Riley and George the cutest book that I was totally into (Stripes, I highly recommend it) and Ben was sitting next to us enthralled in his book. It is usually exactly when I am thinking what a great moment this is that something like this happens.

"EM!" Ben cries. I look up to see Sammy's cute little diaper cover and her diaper inside sitting in front of us, only no Sammy. I hop up and begin searching the aisles. I found her standing in front of the board books, flipping through one of the titles. A sigh of relief comes over me, we found her. Then my relief quickly turns to terror as I notice the pile of poop behind her.

"BEN!" We both stand there staring at the scene, unable to take the next step. All the while Sammy is flipping through her book oblivious to our horror. Ben announces he is going to quickly purchase his book and I am to get the kids to the car.

I am wondering if purchasing a $20 book will negate the fact that my daughter pooped in your store. As I am thinking this I frantically look through my purse for something to clean it up. Of course, I am all out of wipes and all that I have is a cloth diaper. I am bending over trying to wipe it up when Riley walks up behind me, "Did Sammy poop on the floor?"
"No!" I say with the poopy evidence in my hand. "We need to leave now." I scoop up Sammy and quickly usher Riley and George out of the book store.

We are literally running for the exit with a bare bottomed baby when Riley yells to one of the employees, "Excuse me. My sister..."
"Riley, RILEY be quiet"
We get to the car and I strap Sammy into her seat, bottomless. Ben gets into the car with his purchase and we both burst out laughing. I just can't help thinking of the poor person who is closing up that night telling their fellow employees, "you are not going to believe this but someone pooped in the children's section."

It is one of those things you think by your third child you think you have seen it all, and then something like this happens and you realize you haven't.

The moral of the story: Anytime something you have falls on the floor of a public place, just leave it. You never know, someone may have pooped there. You just never know.

1 comment:

  1. Hysterical! I am also liking the common theme of poop in your last 2 postings. xoxo Kara

    ReplyDelete